Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Acting with Marlon Brando

from Richard Shickel's biography of Elia Kazan. His fellow performers on acting with Marlon Brando in "A Streetcar Named Desire".

Kim Hunter
"It is," she admitted, "a tremendous experience to play in relationship to him; he yanks you inot his own sense of reality." Her example was the trunk scene, with Brando going through Blanche's clothes while Stella tries to protect them from his furious routings. "He had a different sort of attitude toward each of his belongings every night; sometimes he would lead me inot quite a fight with him, and other times I'd be seeing him as a silly boy. I got worn out after many months in the play, but I never got bored. . ." (page 180)

Jessica Tandy
"I can say I enjoyed acting with him sometimes and other times, God knows, I could have wrung his little neck." (page 179)

Karl Malden
"I learned to protect myself. I played off him. I let him do whatever he wanted to do and I'd go from there." (page 179)

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home